Address: The Bowyett , Torphichen , EH48 4LZ
Local Authority: West Lothian
Torphichen Preceptory is the tower and the two transepts of the church of the Preceptory of the Knights Hospitaller of the Order of St John of Jerusalem. The Preceptory was constructed from the late 12th century and comprised an aisleless nave, central tower, transepts and choir. Alongside are the foundations of the Preceptor’s quarters, a dormitory, dining hall and kitchen, forming a cloistered courtyard on the north side of the church. The transepts and nave were rebuilt in the 15th century. The nave of the Preceptory was later demolished to make room for Torphichen Kirk which was built on the original foundations in 1756. The kirk is T-shaped with three galleries including a laird’s loft. Two centre pews can be tipped back to form extended communion tables. Sanctuary stone in the graveyard and a fine collection of 17th-18th century headstones.
Open (parish church and preceptory) Easter to end September, Saturday and Sunday only 1pm-5.00pm,
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.