Parish of St John's, Castle Douglas

St Ninian's, Castle Douglas

Denomination: Scottish Episcopal Church
Address: Whitepark Road, Castle Douglas, DG7 1EX
Local Authority: Dumfries & Galloway
Listing: B
Church Website

Church Overview

Unusual Gothic polychrome granite and whinstone church, designed by London architect, Edward Buckton Lamb. Its foundation stone was laid by the Bishop of Glasgow and Galloway in 1856 and it was completed by 1861. Its tower originally had a spire that was removed in 1950 due to a woodworm infestation . Inside, the pointed chancel arch is the main feature. Stained glass by Taylor in the nave and Ballantyne in the east window.


Alternates with Christ Church, Dalbeattie. Check church website for details.

Opening Arrangements

Open by arrangement

Image Gallery

Click image to open gallery.

Parish of St John's, Castle Douglas


The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.