Consecrated in 1879, St Mary’s, designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott, is one of the world’s great neo-Gothic buildings. Its three spire dominate the West End skyline; close up, the cathedral rejoices in a wealth of ornate and symbolic detail. Stained glass by Paolozzi, rood cross by Robert Lorimer and J Oldrid Scott’s high altar reredos, featuring a carved Crucifixion by Mary Grant of Kilgraston. Organ by ‘Father’ Willis 1879, rebuilt by Harrison & Harrison of Durham. In the grounds stand the 17th-century Old Coates House and the Song School, famous for its recently restored murals painted by Phoebe Anna Traquair 1888-92 on the theme of ‘Benedicite omnia opera’. The Cathedral maintains an internationally renowned choir, which sings on Sundays and for Evensong on weekdays.
Sundays: 8am; 10.30am; 3.30pm
Weekdays: 8am; 5.30pm
For other services, check website.
Open all day from 8am-6pm. Tours of the Song School in August or by appointment.
Disabled toilets are available in the nearby Walpole Hall
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.