St James's Church, Paisley

St James's Church, Paisley

Denomination: Former Church of Scotland
Address: Underwood Road, Paisley, PA3 1TL
Local Authority: Renfrewshire
Listing: B

Church Overview

Early French Gothic-style to a design by Hippolyte Blanc built in 1884, largely with funds gifted by Sir Peter Coats. Spire 200ft, formerly containing a full peal of bells that were rung every Sunday. These were removed by the Scottish Association of Change Ringers, following closure, to be rehomed elsewhere. Church also contained a ‘Father’ Willis pipe organ that was rebuilt by J Walker 1967. Numerous stained glass windows from 1904 and formerly had well-maintained and landscaped grounds adjacent to building.

Closure announced in Jan 2016 and application made in 2019 to convert building for commercial uses.

Closed by the Church of Scotland in 2016 – Now a warehouse


Image Gallery

Click image to open gallery.

St James's Church, Paisley


The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.