St Columba brought Christianity to Skye and the ruins of earlier churches are to be seen in and around Portree. The present building, designed by John Hay of Liverpool, was built as a Free Church in 1854, became the United Free Church in 1900 and the Church of Scotland in 1929. St Columba and St Taraglen are depicted in stained glass windows. Other windows by Douglas Hamilton and Thomas Webster.
Sundays: 11.00am and 6.00pm
Open throughout the summer 11.00am-3.00pm
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.