The ‘Mither Kirk’ of Aberdeen dates from the 12th century. The present building is largely 18th and 19th century. The west end 1755 by James Gibbs, the east end by Archibald Simpson 1837. The church contains the Chapel of the Oil Industry, and the 15th-century St Mary’s Chapel. West Kirk: 3-manual organ by Willis 1881/1927; East Kirk: organ by Compton 1933; St John’s Chapel: organ by Brewsher & Fleetwood 1825. The carillon of 48 bells is the largest in Great Britain. Seventeenth-century embroidered wall hangings.
Currently Closed to Visitors – Negotiations with new owners ongoing
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.