A church has believed to have existed on the present site since around 1150 and formally consecrated in 1241. The oldest part of the present Church was built on the original site in 1542 and the West extension added in 1863. The oldest gravestone in the churchyard is dated 1636, the organ is by James Conacher 1888. The church restoration won the West Lothian Award for Conservation in 1992 and the stained glass windows were restored in 1995. Previous famous visitors have included John Knox, James ‘Paraffin’ Young, David Livingstone and Frederic Chopin. The Church Located in Mid Calder, near to Almondell Country Park and is open to visitors on Sundays 2-4pm May to September – Admission free. All are welcome at the regular Sunday service at 10:30am.
Church open to public May to September, Sundays 2.00-4.00pm or by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.