Church name

Gorebridge Parish Church

Denomination:   Church of Scotland
Address:  96 Hunterfield Rd, Gorebridge EH23 4TT
Local Authority:   Midlothian
Listing:   C
WEBSITE

Church Overview

Originally known as Stobhill Church, this Gothic kirk was built in 1837-38 as a mission church under the oversight of nearby Newbattle Parish, to cater for the spiritual needs of the the rapidly expanding community gathering in Gorebridge due to the new mine workings in the area. It was the first of many churches built under the Church Extension Scheme pioneered by Thomas Chalmers.

Much altered in 1884-85, by the Edinburgh architects Henry Hardy and John Rutherford Wight, the cruciform kirk with its octagonal spire is a prominent and beloved landmark in the former mining village. During a period of reorganisation in 1975, the nearby parishes of St Paul’s, Temple and Stobhill merged into one. This new congregation centred on the Stobhill building, which was renamed Gorebridge Parish Church.

A lively and friendly congregation, they look forward to welcoming new members and visitors whenever the building is open.

Services

Sundays: see website

Opening Arrangements

Open by arrangement

 

Access for partially abled    toilets available Disabled WC refreshments inventory

Image Gallery

Click image to open gallery.

Gorebridge Parish Church

Contact Gorebridge Parish Church

13 + 14 =

Disclaimer

The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.