Rebuilt 1546, the last collegiate church to be founded in Scotland before the Reformation. A cruciform building with fine stained glass, including work by William Wilson and Crear McCartney. The church interior that you see today is the result of the restoration of 1935 when the plaster was stripped away to reveal the rubble work below. The architect was Latto Morrison who is commemorated in the west window. The organ is by P. Conacher of Huddersfield, originally installed in 1889 in a gallery in the north transept and was rebuilt in the small “Chapter House” in 1935 by Messrs Scovel and Company, Edinburgh. It has been overhauled several times and was completely rebuilt in 1996 by A. F. Edmonstone, organ builder of Forteviot. In the kirkyard are memorials to the forebears of William Ewart Gladstone and also Thomas Blackwood Murray, the Scottish motor pioneer of ‘Albion’.
Sundays: 11.15 am (communion last Sunday of every month).
By arrangement – key holder 07712 066767
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.