The church, formerly St Andrews, was designed in the late Gothic style by John B Wilson of Glasgow and completed in March 1898. A tall gable with a large window faces the street; to the side is an octagonal tower with a red tiled spire. The tall interior has a gallery. The window above the pulpit was designed by Stephen Adam & Son and there are two other windows designed by the studio of Joseph Miller.
The building contains four war memorials. 1. Ivy Place United Free Church (the original name of the building). 2. St Marks United Free Church (united with Ivy Place UF about 1926 to form St Andrew’s UF Church) – in 1929 this became St Andrew’s Church of Scotland. 3. Stranraer Parish Church (on the union with St Andrew’s in 2004 to form the Town Kirk of Stranraer). 4. St Ninian’s UF Church (which closed in 2013 and united with the Town Kirk to become Trinity Church of Stranraer).
Sunday@ 11.30 am.
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.