The approach to the auld kirk is through Kirkport and the 1656 lychgate into the kirkyard. The Commonwealth Government paid for the 1654 T-plan kirk after Cromwell’s troops had occupied the old Church of St John on the sands. Respectful alterations by David Bryce of 1836. High-quality interior with three lofts on Corinthian columns and a splendid double-decker pulpit. one of the few remaining ‘Obit’ boards records money donated to the poor. This church is not a museum, but living and active.
Open Saturdays in July & August 10.30am-12.30pm, or by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.