St Joseph’s is a tall red sandstone building and is a prominent landmark on the Glasgow Road through Blantyre, a Lanarkshire town between Glasgow and Hamilton. The church was designed in Gothic Revival style by Pugin & Pugin; building started in 1903 and the church opened in 1905, one year after the death of Peter Paul Pugin. The building consists of a large nave with side aisles with a chancel at the east end and a baptistery at the west end of the south aisle.
Fine arcaded interior with clerestory windows. The reredos of Caen marble and altar of Carrara marble were designed by Ernest Schoefelberg, 1928. The Sacred Heart Altar of white Sicilian and coloured marbles was installed in the baptistery in 1948. The east rose window is by John Hardman Studio, 1948, and depicts the Holy Spirit with emblems of the Four Evangelists.
Saturday Vigil 5.00 pm
Sunday: 10.00 am, 12.00 noon, 6.30 pm
Weekdays: 10.00 am
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.