St John's, Baltasound, Unst
Address: Baltasound, ZE2 9DX
Local Authority: Shetland
Built 1825-7 with local labour at 90Âº to the original kirk, the outline of which is retained in a walled garden. Much recycled stonework. Significant alterations in 1959 and reroofed 1984. Hall, kitchen, etc, 1990. Original bell, dated 1828.
Pews brought from Rothiemay, Huntly. Pulpit and Communion Table are the work of the Rev John Firth. Stained glass by Harry Tait of Trondra, Shetland.
Local War Memorials and RAF Saxaford memorials.
Sunday 10.30 am.
Open most days
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.