St James the Great, Stonehaven

St James the Great, Stonehaven

Denomination: Scottish Episcopal
OS Reference: NO873857
Address: Arbuthnott Street , Stonehaven , AB39 2JB
Local Authority: Aberdeenshire
Listing: A
WEBSITE

 

Church Overview

The nave was built by Sir Robert Rowand Anderson in 1877 in Norman/Early English style. The chancel was added in 1885 and the narthex and baptistry in 1906 by Arthur Clyne. Baptistry glass by Sir Ninian Comper 1929. Elaborately sculptured reredos by Gambier-Parry of London. 2-manual organ of some merit by Wadsworth 1881/85.

Congregation have worked with an external company to curate a small museum of artefacts and  visual displays that share the history of the church and the community that built it and a free digital app to help visitors navigate around the building while hearing more about the cultural artefacts and architectural heritage around them. There’s also a recently rebuilt demonstrator organ that visitors with a musical flair can play and learn more about how organs work. 

Services

Sunday 8.30 and 10.30am; Wednesday 10.30am

Opening Arrangements

Open daily

Guide book available Access for partially abled  toilets available

Image Gallery

Click image to open gallery.

St James the Great, Stonehaven

Disclaimer

The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.