One of the finest examples of Norman architecture in Scotland, this ‘miniature Cathedral’ sits in its own graveyard overlooking Aberdour harbour. The early church, standing in 1123, consisted of the nave and chancel, lit by deep splayed windows which still exist. The church was enlarged in the 15th century by the addition of a side aisle, and in the 17th by the small transeptual aisle, now used by the choir. The church fell into disrepair in the 18th century and was restored in 1925. ‘Even to enter St Fillan’s is to worship.’
Open daily during daylight hours
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.