Built in 1876 to a design by George Grant of Glasgow on a site near to the ruins of two previous churches of 12th and 17th centuries. Font, 12th-century. Super-altar set into the communion table, one of only two known in Scotland. Good stained glass. Memorial to James Thomson (1700-48), author of ‘Rule Britannia’ and ‘The Seasons’, whose father was parish Minister. Prior to the Battle of Otterburn 1388, the Earl of Douglas and his army met at the 12th-century church, whence the survivors returned to bury their dead.
Special Services only
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.