Peebles Old Parish Church

Peebles Old Parish Church

Denomination: Church of Scotland
Address: High Street , Peebles , EH45 8SW
Local Authority: Scottish Borders
Listing: B

Church Overview

Built in 1887 by prominent London-based, Scottish architect William Young, it contains features from the earlier building that was demolished to make way for the new church. Substantial early Gothic building with crowstepped gables and tower with spire, accessed by wide flight of steps. The fine crown spire dominates the High Street. An inviting flight of steps leads up to the entrance.

Pulpit 1913 by P MacGregor Chalmers, brass eagle lectern gifted in 1897, white marble font gifted in 1898, metalwork by Charles Henshaw & Son, organ screen by Scott Morton. The chancel was remodelled by J D Cairns in 1937. Entrance screen of 1973 by Whytock & Reid, also the woodwork etc for the small side chapel with carvings of St Andrew and St Mungo, etc. Choir stalls by Whytock & Reid, 1980. Unified scheme of stained glass by Daniel Cottier. Part of pre-Reformation font incorporated in table in crossing, by Mitchell Design 1998. Organ by Auguste Gern (gift of Thorburn family), removed to new chamber in 1937 and rebuilt by Henry Willis, further altered 1988.


Sunday 10.00am; Monday – Saturday 10.00 am

Opening Arrangements

Open 10.00am-4.00pm, all year

Image Gallery

Click image to open gallery.

Peebles Old Parish Church


The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.