Even from the main road it is obvious that the kirk and kirkyard are out of the ordinary. The church stands adjacent to a circular enclosure of considerable antiquity containing the ruins of the former church, St Bride’s, and a notable collection of tombstones from the 16th century onwards. The church itself is a handsome rectangular building of 1805 with a bow front containing staircase and bellcote; high piended roof; two large gothic windows on east wall with pulpit placed between; rubble-built with pinnings and cherry cocking, ashlar at bellcote. The interior is flooded with light from two Gothic windows either side of the pulpit. Horseshoe gallery on square columns and plain wooden pews. The furnishings probably date from 1845-50. Church acquired by Historic Churches Scotland in 2009.
Occasional services, weddings and funerals by arrangement. For arranging services, please telephone Historic Churches Scotland on 0131 563 5135.
Open by arrangement, tel 0131 563 5135
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.