The tower dates from 1415; its spire and belfry (containing two bells 1485 and 1689) were added in 1620 and the four-face clock in 1910. The church itself was rebuilt in 1785. Inside are war memorials on the east and south walls and the guidon of the Fife and Forfar Yeomanry. A recess in the west wall contains the 15th-century recumbent figure of a knight (‘Muckle Fernie’). Adjacent graveyard contains hand of David Hackston, a Covenanter from Rathillet.
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.