A chaste Early Christian church by P MacGregor Chalmers 1911, of granite with red sandstone dressings and set on a rise overlooking the Solway Firth. Its bell-tower is topped by a steep pyramid roof. A pretty interior with nave, aisle and transept and a timbered roof. Plain plastered walls are a foil for the sandstone columns which support round-headed arches springing from cushion capitals to form arcades into the aisle and transept.
In the chancel, the deep colour of the stained glass window depicting the Ascension by Stephen Adam Jnr (Adam & Co), 1918, forms a lovely backdrop to the high presbyterian arrangement of furnishings. The windows in the transepts, the Adoration of the Magi and the Road to Emmaus, are by Mary Wood. The window in the aisle is by Margaret Chilton and Marjorie Kemp, 1926.
Open daily 10.00am-6.00pm
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.