Gothic church of a simple rectangle with aisles of 1853 by John Henderson. Carving by Major General Stevenson. Modern stained glass window with Celtic saints by Pauline Payne, art teacher of Lanark Grammar School in the 1960s and 1970s.
The pelican font cover was carved by Major General Thomas Rennie Stevenson CB, and presented to Christ Church in 1920.Â His initials are carved into the base and inside is a small brass plaque giving this information. He was an expert wood carver and his work can be seen all around the Church, often with the motif of Scottish Thistles, which makes the location of our Church particular, as symbolised by the national flower of Scotland.Â At the very top are a pelican and its young chicks in its nest.Â The pelican was once believed to peck its breast with its beak to nourish its youngÂ with its own blood.Â The bird was therefore used to represent Christâ€™s self sacrifice for humankind and as a symbol of charity (caritas). The font cover also have images of the evangelists.
10.30am each Sunday, 8.30am 1st Sunday and 6.00pm 2nd Sunday of the month
Open most day during daytime or by apointments
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.