The cathedral is a small part of the projected building, consisting of chancel, crossing, nave of one bay and one transept by James Chalmers 1908. This was attached at right angles to the original church by J Thomson of Glasgow built in 1864. In 1882, a side was built onto the parish church; this was divided from the nave by a glazed screen with doors, by Ian G. Lindsay & Partners 1958, to form a narthex and baptistery. Tall reredos on a Scottish theme with painting of the Ascension set in the West Highlands by Norman Macdougall. Vast hovering bronze eagle. Choir stalls in form of Celtic graveyard. Much Iona marble and terrazzo.
The Cathedral of St John the Divine is a Destination Hub on the St Columba Pilgrim Journey.
Sunday: 8.00 am, 10.15 am; Wednesdays 11.00 am
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.