Address: Abercorn, EH30 9SL
Local Authority: West Lothian
The kirk probably occupies the site of a 7th-century monastery founded by Lindisfarne Priory. The building dates from 11th century and has a fine 12th-century south door. The Duddingston burial aisle 1603, Binns aisle 1618, Philipstoun burial enclosure 1723 and Hopetoun aisle 1707 have fine mural monuments. Interior remodelled by Peter MacGregor Chalmers 1893, except for the splendid Hopetoun Loft of 1707 designed by William Bruce with carving by William Eizat and a heraldic ceiling by Richard Waitt.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.