Grants awarded

Below is a list of grants for repair or conservation reports awarded in recent years:

Grants Awarded 2015

  • St Joseph's RC, Aberdeen. Gothic church with attached hall by E W Pugin, 1856. Roof repairs. £5,000
  • Arbroath West Kirk. B-listed Gothic church with aisles, porch and tall tower, 1879, by Edward & Robertson. Roof, masonry and window repairs. £3,000
  • St Stephen’s RC, Blairgowrie. B-listed Gothic church with tall, narrow nave and aisles, 1856, by E W Pugin. Roof repairs. £3,000
  • Glasgow Evangelical Church. Fine Italianate Baroque style church by John Honeyman, 1878, A-listed. Roof, masonry and other repairs. £5,000
  • Zetland CoS, Grangemouth. Gothic B-listed cruciform church with substantial square tower, 1911, by Wilson & Tait. Window repairs. £3,000
  • Holy Trinity Episcopal, Haddington. Built 1770 as a simple hall church, extended and given a neo-Byzantine appearance, 1930, by B N H Orphoot. Repairs to roof, masonry and rainwater goods. £5,000
  • St Andrew's Church of Scotland, Kirriemuir. Late Gothic-style church with a 60-ft tower by Patrick Thoms, 1903. Roof, rainwater goods and masonry repairs. £1,500
  • St Mary’s Episcopal Church, Kirriemuir. A finely detailed and entrancing mix of Gothic and Arts & Crafts in a Scottish Revival style, Ninian Comper, 1903, A-listed. Roof and masonry repairs. £3,000
  • Macduff Church of Scotland. Notable landmark: preaching box of 1805 with Italianate tower and cupola added 1865 by James Matthew, B-listed. Roof repairs. £5,000
  • Mauchline Church of Scotland. “Heritors’ Gothic” church with tower of 1829 by William Alexander, C listed. Repairs to roof, masonry and rainwater goods. £6,000
  • Muckhart Church of Scotland. Simple, commodious, rubble-built rectangular church, 1838. Replacement floor and rot eradication. £3,000
  • Penninghame St John’s Parish Church, Newton Stewart. Cruciform Gothic church with tower and spire on south gable, 1840, by William Burn. Repointing of exterior of south wall and replastering of interior. £6,000
  • St Mirin's RC Cathedral, Paisley. Neo-Romanesque in style with an airy arched interior, 1931, by Thomas Baird. Replacement (like-for-like) of main doors. £3,000
  • In addition, supplementary grants were awarded to Holy Trinity Episcopal, Elgin (£1,500), Bothwell Parish Church (£2,000) and Gartcoch Parish Church (£1,000)

Grants Awarded 2014

  • Aberlady Parish Church. Historic church rebuilt in 1886 incorporating the 15th century tower and 17th century burial aisles. Masonry repairs. £4,000
  • Anstruther Parish Church. T-plan town church of 1634 with tower of 1644, interior reorinetated and re-ordered in 1834. Masonry repairs. £6,000
  • St Joseph’s RC, Blantyre. Gothic Revival church of 1905 by Pugin & Pugin, interior embellished 1938. Roof and window repairs. £3,000
  • Craiglockhart Parish Church, Edinburgh. Gothic Revival church in red sandstone, 1889, by Hay & Henderson. Masonry repairs to spire. £2,500
  • Crosshouse Parish Church. Gothic Revival church with tower, 1882 by Bruce & Sturrock, built in red sandstone. Ceiling repairs. Grant for conservation report £1,000; grant for repairs £2,000
  • St James Episcopal, Dingwall. Simple Gothic church of 1851 by J L Pearson. with nave chancel and gable bellcote. General repairs. £1,500
  • Gilfillan Memorial Church, Dundee. City centre church, Built in 1887, with a symmetrical classical facade. Window repairs. £3,000
  • Holy Trinity Episcopal, Dunoon. Country church with tower of 1850 designed by John Henderson in Early English style. Roof repairs. £3,000
  • St Mary’s Episcopal Cathedral, Edinburgh. A great neo-Gothic building, designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott, 1879, with three dominating spires. Masonry repairs. £1,000
  • Holy Trinity Episcopal, Elgin. Gothic church on a Greek cross ground-plan to a design by William Robertson, 1826. Window repairs. £2,500
  • Fetteresso Parish Church. Crenellated, castle-style church with octagonal turrets and square tower at centre, John Paterson, 1810-12; altered and enlarged 1878. Stabilisation of bank above burn. £3,000
  • Gartcosh Parish Church. A good example of a late Art & Crafts church, 1929 with later attached halls. Window repairs. £1,000
  • St Bride’s Episcopal, Kelvinside, Glasgow. Arts & Crafts Gothic church by G F Bodley, 1904-7, the large square tower was added by H O Tarbolton, 1913-6. Structural repairs to tower. £2,000
  • St Ninian’s Episcopal, Glenurquhart. Simple small church with Gothic detailing, 1853, by Alexander Ross. General repairs. £3,000
  • Gorebridge Parish Church. Gothic church of nave, chancel transepts and spire, 1884-5 by Hardy & Wight. Window and masonry repairs. £1,000
  • Govan Cross Church. Handsome Gothic church with halls was designed by Robert Baldie in 1873. Roof repairs. £4,000
  • Kilsyth Church of God. Relatively unaltered example of A-frame church of the 1960s, by James Tho,pson & Sons. Window replacement. £2,000
  • Muckhart Parish Church. Commodious hall church of 1838. Masonry repairs and reharling.  £2,000

Grants Awarded 2013

  • Hebron Evangelical Church, Aberdeen. Formerly Denburn Parish Church, built in Romanesque style by William Smith, 1771. General repairs. £3,000
  • Sannox Christian Centre, Arran. Small, traditional church of 1822. Roof repairs. £2,000
  • Newhills Parish Church, Bucksburn, Aberdeen. Simple church with large round-headed windows of 1833 by Archibald Simpson. Roof repairs. £3,000
  • Acharacle Parish Church. Remarkably unaltered 'Parliamentary' church, built in 1829 to the designs of William Thomson following the basic plan of Thomas Telford. Window repairs. £2,000
  • St Andrew's Episcopal, Ardrossan. Simple cruciform church in pink sandstone by David Thomson, 1875, in Early English Gothic style. General repairs, £4,000
  • Trinity Church, Banff. Classical church with tall spire surmounting a columned portico, 1843, by James Raeburn. General repairs. £5,000
  • Bothwell Parish Church. Medieval collegiate church 1398 forms the choir; nave and tower 1833 by David Hamilton, restoration of1898 by Sir Robert Rowand Anderson.  Structural repairs. £6,000
  • St Andrew's Episcopal Church, Callander. Pretty little church of 1857, possibly designed by J, J W & W H Hay, with small-scale nave, apse-ended chancel and short transepts. Dry rot eradication. £3,000
  • The Priory Church, Coldingham. An 11th century priory with surviving fabric from the 13th century, with other work of 1662 and 1855. Window repairs £2,500
  • Denholm Parish Church. Simple rectangular stone building with small bell and clock tower, 1844. Roof repairs. £2,000
  • City Church, Dundee. Former Franciscan Friary complex by Reginald Fairlie, 1933; church by A R Conlon, 1958; sculpture on entrance façade by Hew Lorimer. General external repairs. £3,000
  • Coldside Parish Church, Dundee. Lancet Gothic in squared rubble by Alexander Johnston 1880-1 with a crow-stepped tower. General repairs £1,500
  • Condorrat Parish Church. Stone-built hall church of 1875 with Gothic details. Floor repairs. £3,000
  • St Margaret's Parish Church, Dalry. Landmark Victorian Gothic building by David Thomson 1871-73 with 159ft broach spire. General repairs £4,000
  • Dunoon High Kirk. Late Decorated Gothic Revival church of 1816 by Gillespie Graham, belfry tower added in 1839, church lengthened and widened in 1909. General repairs. £3,000
  • Life Church, Edinburgh. Simple classical church adorned with doric columns, 1812. Repairs to roof and rain water goods. £3,000
  • Girvan North Parish Church. English Gothic-style church of 1883 by W F Rowan; the tall spire is a local landmark. General repairs. £4,000
  • St Mary's Episcopal Church, Glencoe. Simple rectangular church of nave and chancel, built in 1880. Window repairs. £1,000
  • Fauldhouse Parish Church. Large Gothic style parish church with square tower, 1866 by Angus Kennedy. Window repairs. £4,000
  • St Andrew's & St Cuthbert's RC Church, Kirkcudbright. Gothic style church in whinstone with red sandstone dressings set in a quiet garden courtyard. Roof repairs £5,000
  • Limekilns Parish Church. Two-storey, three-bay classical church of 1825. General repairs. £3,000
  • Dalziel St Andrew's Parish Church, Motherwell. Gothic-style church, of cruciform-plan, with a square 3-stage tower with broach spire, 1874, probably by David Thomson. Roof and masonry repairs. £5,000
  • Romanian Orthodox Church, Kilninian, Mull (formerly Kilninian Parish Church) Simple traditional church, built in 1755. Ancient burial stones in the vestry. General repairs. £3,000
  • Viewfield Parish Church, Stirling. Gothic church with steeple on a sloping site, 1860 by F & W Mackison. General repairs. £2,000
  • Torosay & Kinlochspelvie Parish Church, Craignure, Mull. Plain Georgian kirk of 1783 with external stairs to lofts; later additions and alterations. Roof repairs. £3,000
  • West Kilbride Parish Church. Substantial red sandstone church in Gothic stylewith a fine spire and rose window, 1882. General repairs. £3,000
  • Brucefield Parish Church, Whitburn. Rectungular-plan modernist church with up-swept roof by Rowand Anderson, Kininmonth and Paul, 1965-1966. General repairs. £5,000

Grants Awarded 2012

  • St Margaret's Episcopal Church, Aberlour. Tall Gothic church by Alexander Ross, 1879, with splendid original interior. High-level repairs. £5,000
  • Allan Church, Bannockburn. Rectangular hall-style church, 1828, with tower and spire atop the entrance gable. Repairs to spire. £1,000
  • Broughty Ferry New Kirk (St Aidan’s). Stone church designed by James Black in 1824 with stone tower and slated spire added in 1858. Repairs to clock-face. £1,000
  • Cairneyhill Parish Church. Probably the first Anti-Burgher meeting house in Scotland, a plain oblong of 1752. General repairs. £5,000
  • Clackmannan Parish Church. Perpendicular Gothic with buttressed tower at the west end, 1815, by James Gillespie Graham. Window repairs. £4,000
  • Culross Abbey Parish Church. The choir of the Abbey founded in 1217 forms the present parish church, modernised in 1824 and restored in 1905 by Sir Robert Rowand Anderson. Repairs to tower, roof and rainwater goods. £5,000
  • Crichton Memorial Church, Dumfries. Cathedral-style church by Edinburgh architect Sydney Mitchell, 1890-97; superb furnishings of oak and marble; stained glass by Oscar Paterson. Repairs to tower and parapets. £5,000
  • St Mark's Church, Dundee (Gate Christian Fellowship). Built as St Mark's for the United Free Church, 1868-9 and designed by Pilkington and Bell in a free Gothic style. Repairs to spire. £3,000
  • Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, Dunoon. English Gothic church by John Henderson, 1850, tower added, 1896, by Alexander Ross. Repairs to rainwater goods, masonry and windows. £3,000
  • Fraserburgh Old Parish Church. Classical Georgian church, Alexander Morrice, 1801; memorial window by Douglas Strachan, 1906. Repairs to stained glass window. £2,000
  • Sacred Heart RC, Bridgeton, Glasgow. Red sandstone building by C J Menart, 1910, additions by Gillespie Kidd & Coia, 1954. Stone and window repairs. £5,000
  • St Bride's Episcopal Church, Hyndland, Glasgow. Gothic Church started by G F Bodley, 1904 and 1907, completed by H O Tarbolton, 1913-16. High-level repairs. £5,000
  • St Robert Bellarmine RC, Glasgow. One of the last churches designed by Pugin & Pugin, built in red brick under the supervision of H C Purcell, 1955-9. Brickwork repairs. £1,000
  • Hamilton St John Parish Church. Classical building of 1835 with Tuscan pilasters framing round-headed windows. Roof, masonry and window repairs. £5,000
  • Holy Trinity Episcopal, Keith. Gothic, cruciform church with 3-stage tower, 1882, Alexander Ross. General repairs. £5,000
  • Holy Trinity Chapel, Lamington. Former private Episcopal chapel of the Baillie Cochrane family, 1857, with original furnishings. Window repairs. £2,000
  • St Ninian Craigmailen Parish Church, Linlithgow. Gothic church of 1871 with 3-stage entrance tower with broad spire, south aisle added 1901. Repairs to steeple. £1,500
  • St Columba's Parish Church, Mallaig. Small, white-harled church of nave and chancel of 1930 by J G Falconer. General repairs. £1,500
  • Wrangholm Kirk, New Stevenston. Simple rectangular nave-and-chancel church of 1843 with gothic arched windows to the nave and a rose window to the chancel. Repairs to masonry and repointing. £1,500
  • Rosyth Parish Church. Dutch inspired church of 1930 by Hugh Mottram, finished with a square tower and steeple. Rot eradication and repairs to roof, rainwater goods and ground levels. £5,000
  • St Paul’s Episcopal, Rothesay. Victorian Gothic-revival building of the 'middle-pointed' style. Roof and structural repairs. £4,000
  • Tarbert Parish Church. Gothic style church with tall tower topped with a crown spire, Architects J McKissack and W G Rowan of Glasgow. Repairs to roof and masonry. £6,000
  • Tomintoul Parish Church. A Thomas Telford Parliamentary Church, remodelled by John Robertson 1898-1900; Gothic wooden reredos installed 1911. General repairs. £4,000

Grants Awarded 2011

  • St John's Episcopal, Alloa. Geometric Gothic design with broach spire, 1869, by Robert Rowand Anderson, woodwork and screen by Lorimer and glass by Kempe. General repairs. £5,000
  • Balbeggie United Free Church. Simple rectangular church of 1831. Grant towards conservation report. £500
  • St Joseph's RC, Bonnybridge. Three-story church on 1924 in white rough-cast with terracotta margins and a two-storey flight of steps to the main entrance. Repairs to external steps. £1,500
  • Carmyllie Parish Church. Original church with belfry of 1609 altered in 18C and early 19C and alterations and greatly enlarged 1874 by McLaren & Aitken, Architects of Dundee. General repairs. £5,000
  • Cruden Parish Church. Country church of 1776 with addition in 1833 of stair towers with conical roofs. Grant towards conservation report. £1,000
  • Cullen Methodist Church. Simple early 20th century stone church in the sea town of Cullen. Repairs to windows. £1,500
  • St Mary's Episcopal, Dalkeith. Built in 1845 by the 5th Duke of Buccleuch, designed by William Burn and David Bryce like an English University chapel. Repairs to gutters and rainwater goods. £5,000
  • Polwarth Parish Church, Edinburgh. Splendid example of late 19th- and early 20th-century Arts & Crafts Gothic by Sydney Mitchell & Wilson, 1901, with the tower by James Jerdan & Sons, 1913. General repairs. £1,000
  • St Salvador's Episcopal, Edinburgh. Design of 1937 by Tarbolton and Ochterlony based on the medieval church of St Monans in Fife. Repairs to tower and spire. £5,000
  • St Francis Xavier's RC, Falkirk. Hall church with dramatic entrance façade by architect A R Conlin, 1961. General repairs and repairs to clerestory windows. £3,500
  • St Mary's Episcopal, Gatehouse of Fleet. Simple stone church with painted margins built for the United Presbyterian Church in 1864, Episcopalian since 1909. Masonry repairs. £1,715
  • St Joseph's RC, Helensburgh. Cruciform late-Gothic style church in red sandstone with light, white interior, 1912, Charles Menart. Grant towards conservation report. £1,200
  • Innerleithen Parish Church. Idiosyncratic Gothic by F T Pilkington, 1864, chancel added by J McIntyre Henry in 1889. General repairs. £3,000
  • Glenaray & Inveraray Parish Church. Centre-piece of the planned town, a double church by Robert Mylne, 1805, housing English and Gaelic congregations. Roof and masonry repairs. £4,000
  • Inveravon Parish Church. Simple rectangular church of 1806, remodeled in 1876 by Alexander Marsdhall Mackenzie; notable Pictish stones. General repairs. £3,000
  • Kirkmichael Parish Church. Rectangular, rendered church with bellcote and plain venetian window in gable, 1791. Repairs to masonry. £2,000
  • Kirn Parish Church. Designed by P MacGregor Chalmers and built 1906-7 in a Romanesque style with square tower topped with a pyramidal roof. Repairs to masonry. £2,500
  • St Columba's RC Cathedral, Oban. Highly distinctive, pink granite cathedral with a lofty tower, designed by Giles Gilbert Scott in 1932 in the neo-Gothic style. Masonry repairs. £5,000
  • St Mirin's RC Cathedral, Paisley. Neo-Romanesque in style with an airy arched interior, 1931, Thomas Baird. Repairs to roof, masonry and internal plaster. £5,000
  • Pencaitland Parish Church. Outstanding example of a Scottish parish kirk of the 16th or early 17th century with later additions. Masonry and drainage repairs. £5,000
  • Port of Menteith Parish Church. Gothic style church with square tower on the shore of the Lake of Menteith, 1878, by John Honeyman. General repairs. £4,000
  • New Life Centre, Prestwick. Former St Cuthbert's Parish Church, 1834, by David Bryce in Tudorbethan style. General repairs. £3,000
  • Torthorwald Parish Church. A white T-plan kirk of 1872 incorporating stones from an earlier church. Ceiling repairs. £1,000
  • Wick St Fergus Church of Scotland. Simple Gothic rectangle with quoins and pinnacles and corner tower and spire, John Henry of Edinburgh, 1820-30. Roof, masonry and window repairs. £2,500

Grants Awarded 2010

  • New Wellwynd Parish Church, Airdrie. Classical church, 1834, with Ionic pilasters and pediment topped with octagonal bell-tower. General repairs. £2,000
  • Holy Trinity Episcopal, Ayr. Outstanding Gothic Church by J L Pearson, 1888, with gables and aisles, and a square tower. Stone repairs. £3,000
  • Culross Abbey, Torryburn and High Valleyfield Parish Churches. Three linked churches: the medieval Abbey Church with 19th century alterations, the early 20th century hall church of Torryburn and the church at High Valleyfield created from two 1920s semi-detached miners' cottages. Conservation report. £1,500
  • Meadowside St Paul's Parish Church, Dundee. Gothic Church with a fine spire, 1852 by Charles Wilson, stained glass by Jones & Willis and Alexander Russell. General repairs. £4,000
  • St Salvador's, Dundee. Church in early Arts & Crafts Gothic with glorious painted interior, G F Bodley, 1868. Repairs to masonry. £5,000
  • Gillespie Memorial Parish Church, Dunfermline. Tudor Gothic church with a broad gable front with octagonal buttresses rising into pinnacles, 1848-9 by Andrew Balfour. £3,000
  • Holy Trinity Episcopal, Dunoon. Nave and chancel Gothic church by John Henderson, 1847-8; narthex and tower added 1896. General repairs. £5,000
  • St John's Parish Church, Dunoon. Large neo-Gothic church by John Bryden, 1877, with tall spire and many gables. Latest phase of masonry repairs. £4,000
  • Leith Free Church (Elder Memorial), Edinburgh. Arts & Crafts church with Gothic details by Sydney Mitchell & Wilson, 1899. Grant towards conservation report £1,000.
  • St Mary's Metropolitan Cathedral, Edinburgh. Perpendicular Gothic building by James Gillespie Graham, 1814; chancel by Buchanan & Bennett, 1895; nave extended and heightened by Reid & Forbes 1932. Roof repairs. £3,000.
  • Fogo Kirk. A rare example of a traditional Presbyterian church, mostly dating from 1683, with box pews, small plain glass windows and two laird's lofts, entered by outside stairs. Grant offered on condition that only second-hand Scotch slates are used. £4,000.
  • St John's Episcopal, Forres. Italianate church with campanile of 1841 by Patrick Wilson; murals by William Hole, 1906-11. Mural restoration. £1,000
  • Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary Roman Catholic Church, Girvan. A plain Gothic structure of 1860 with a huge prow-like porch added in 1959 by Stevenson & Ferguson. Plaster repairs. £1,500
  • St Patrick's Roman Catholic Church, Anderston, Glasgow. Decorated Gothic style church by Pugin & Pugin, opened for worship in 1898. Roof and masonry repairs. £4,000
  • St Paul's RC Church, Glenrothes. Trapezoid-shaped white painted church with tall roof light above altar, 1957, Gillespie, Kidd & Coia. General repairs. £4,000
  • St Anthony's Roman Catholic Church, Govan. Italian Romanesque style church by John Honeyman, 1877-9 with campanile. Roof and masonry repairs. £4,000
  • St Andrew's, Inverurie. A rectangular building, designed by John Smith, 1842, with a perpendicular Gothic façade. General repairs. £5,000.
  • Kirk Yetholm Parish Church. Gothic church with tower of local whinstone with cream sandstone dressings, 1832 by Robert Brown. Repairs to windows and stonework. £4,000
  • Greyfriars, Kirkcudbright. Eighteenth century T-plan church, remodelled by Peter MacGregor Chalmers, 1922. Masonry and window repairs. £1,000
  • Kirkmichael, Netherton and Glenshee Parish Churches. Group of simple country churches. Grant towards conservation report £1,500.
  • Largoward Parish Church. Window repairs. Simple rectangle of 1835 with sash-and-case windows and a largely unaltered interior with box, gallery and pulpit. £500
  • St John's Parish Church, Largs. Romanesque 4-bay rectangular church with tall tower, 1886, Archibald J Graham. Roof and masonry repairs. £4,000
  • St Angus's Episcopal, Lochearnhead. Plain Gothic style church with nave, chancel, porch, vestry and gabletted belfry, 1888. Repairs to masonry. £3,000
  • St Peter's Episcopal, Peebles. Early church (1837) by William Burn with Gothic façade, porch and chancel added in 1882 by Hay & Henderson. General repairs. £3,000
  • Renfrew Old Parish Church. Early Gothic style church by John Thomas Rochead, 1861-2, with chancel by P MacGregor Chalmers, 1908. Repairs to masonry. £5,000.
  • Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church, Wigtown. Simple brick-built Gothic church of nave and apse by J Garden Brown, 1879. Roof and masonry repairs. £2,000
  • Yetholm Parish Church. Gothic church with tower, 1832 by Robert Brown, built of local whinstone with cream sandstone dressings. £5,000

Grants Awarded 2009

  • St Ninian’s Episcopal, Alyth. Neo-Norman church with small bell-tower, 1857, by David Bryce. Masonry repairs. £3,000.
  • St Ternan’s, Arbuthnott. 12th century church with later medieval additions, substantially restored 1889 by A Marshall Mackenzie. Emergency window repairs. £2,000.
  • St Ninian’s, Bigton, Shetland. Simple stone-built rectangular plan with pitched slate roof and porch. Masonry repairs following recommendations of conservation report. £2,000.
  • Abronhill Church, Cumbernauld. Modern brick-built church with separate campanile, 1967. Roof repairs. £1,000.
  • Gillespie Memorial Church, Dunfermline. Simple Gothic church of 1849 attributed to Andrew Balfour but possibly by James Brown. Window repairs. £3,000.
  • Dunlop Parish Church. Original two-storey church of 1641 enlarged to T-plan with three-stage tower, 1884. Repairs to masonry. £3,000.
  • Corstorphine Old, Edinburgh. Original 15th century church with restoration and additions by William Burn, 1828, by George Henderson, 1905. Roof repairs. £8,000.
  • King’s Hall, Newington, Edinburgh. Originally built as Newington Free church, 1843, by David Cousin, new Scots Gothic front by Henry Maclennan, 1907. Roof repairs. £3,000.
  • London Road Church, Edinburgh. French Gothic revival church with tall spire by John Starforth, 1875, on a corner site. Emergency roof repairs. £4,000.
  • Mayfield Salisbury Parish Church, Edinburgh. French Gothic church with tall spire by Hippolyte Blanc, 1894, with magnificent stained glass by Ballantine & Gardiner, Charles L Davidson, Morris & Co, Guthrie & Wells and William Meikle. Window repairs. £3,000.
  • Old St Paul’s Episcopal, Edinburgh. Hidden gem of the Old Town with complete original furnishings, by Hay & Henderson,1880 with additions by H O Tarbolton, 1922. Roof and masonry repairs. £5,000.
  • Wellsprings Community, Newcraighall, Edinburgh. Church for the mining community in yellow and red brick, 1876, by Henry Hardy. Roof and masonry repairs. £2,000.
  • St Mary’s RC, Calton, Glasgow. Striking neo-classical church with pedimented façade with sculpted winged angels in the tympanum, 1842, by Goldie & Child. Repairs to roof and high-level stonework. £6,000.
  • St Agnes RC, Lambhill, Glasgow. Red sandstone Gothic style church, 1894, by Pugin & Pugin. Repairs to roof and high-level stonework. £4,000.
  • St Batholomew’s Episcopal, Gourock. Pretty, little, 3-bay Gothic church, J C Sharp, 1867, with chancel added, 1895, H D Walton. General repairs. £5,000.
  • St Michael & All Angels Episcopal, Helensburgh. Significant urban church in red sandstone by Robert Rowand Anderson, 1869, with remarkably complete interior. Roof and masonry repairs. £4,000.
  • St Fillan’s Episcopal, Killin. Early (1876) example of a corrugated-iron church (‘tin tabernacle‘), probably by Speirs & Company. General repairs. £4,000.
  • Twechar Parish Church, Kilsyth. Red sandstone Gothic revival church of 1902 with a square tower and original furnishings. Repairs to windows and rain-water goods. £2,000.
  • St Peter’s Episcopal, Peebles. Early church (1837) by William Burn with Gothic façade, porch and chancel added in 1882 by Hay & Henderson. Emergency repairs to finials. £4,500.
  • Stranraer Town Kirk. Late Gothic church with distinctive spire by John Bennie Wilson, 1882. Roof and masonry repairs. £10,000.
  • St Meddan’s Parish Church, Troon. Tall Gothic revival church with tower and spire, 1889 by John Bennie Wilson. The red sandstone has suffered erosion due to its exposed maritime position. Masonry and window repairs. £8,000.
  • Sacred Heart RC, Wigtown. Simple brick-built Gothic church of nave and apse by J Garden Brown, 1879. Roof and masonry repairs. Grant towards conservation report. £1,000.

Grants Awarded 2008

  • St Mary’s Episcopal, Aberfoyle. Delightful Arts & Crafts church by James Miller, 1893. General repairs. £10,000.
  • Clachan Church, Applecross. Former Church of Scotland. Simple stone-built church with large windows of 1817. General repairs. £4,000.
  • Annan Old Parish Church. Hall church of 1789 with galleries on three sides; extension to rear and belltower added 1801. Roof repairs. £3,000.
  • Barony St John’s, Ardrossan. Rectangular church, 1844 by Black & Salmon, with Gothic pinnacles and small clock tower. Window repairs. £2,000.
  • St Andrew’s, Ayr. Perpendicular Gothic Revival church by John B Wilson, 1893, distinguished by its tall spire and collection of stained glass. Repairs to church, tower and steeple. £4,000.
  • Belhelvie Parish Church. 1878 by William Smith. Tall stone-built Gothic style hall church with steep slate roof and gabled bellcote. Window repairs. £5,000.
  • Benholm Kirk. Former Church of Scotland. Early 19th century church incorporating medieval aumbry and notable monuments of early and late 17th century. Window repairs. £3,000.
  • St Ninian’s, Bigton, Shetland. Simple stone-built rectangular plan with pitched slate roof and porch. Solution to persistent damp problems sought. Grant towards specialist report by Scottish Lime Centre Trust. £1,000.
  • St Mary’s Episcopal, Birnam. Gothic Revival church of nave and chancel, William Slater, 1856, tower added 1870; windows by Kempe, Morris and Burne-Jones. Repointing of masonry and repairs to lime plaster. £3,000.
  • Crosshouse Parish Church. Gothic Revival church with pinnacled tower, 1882 by Bruce & Sturrock. Masonry repairs to tower. £4,000.
  • St Duthac’s RC, Dornie. Simple Gothic style church in local rubble stone with limestone margins by Joseph A Hansom, 1860. Masonry repairs. £4,200.
  • Dysart Kirk. Romanesque church of cruciform plan with tower and spire at the crossing. Roof and masonry repairs. £4,000.
  • Yester Parish Church, Gifford. Significant parish church of the reformed tradition, James Smith, 1710, T-plan in white harl with a square tower topped with a short spire. General repairs including replacing cement render with lime harl. £8,000.
  • St John’s Renfield, Glasgow. Bold and striking church of the late Gothic Revival with modern influences, 1931 by James Taylor Thomson. Repairs to flèche, roof and masonry. £5,000.
  • Greenock West United Reformed Church. Perpendicular Gothic design by James Baird, 1839, with pinnacled façade and horseshoe gallery. Repairs to roof and masonry. £4,000.
  • St Magnus Episcopal, Lerwick. Early-English style by Alexander Ellis, 1864 with square saddle-roofed tower added 1891. General repairs. £8,000.
  • Polmont Old Parish Church. Romanesque style church, 1844 by J Tait, with two towers flanking the entrance; windows by Ballantine. Window repairs. £1,000.
  • St Mary of Wedale, Stow. Stone-built Gothic Revival church, 1878 by Edward Maidman, with tall tower and spire. Dry rot eradication and repairs to gutters and rain-water goods. £4,000.
  • St Ninian’s & Forglen, Turriff. Originally built in a T-plan 1794, bellcote added 1875, altered to rectangular church in 1914 by A Marshall Mackenzie. Repairs to bellcote. £1,500.
  • All Saints’ Episcopal, Whiterashes. Simple Gothic style church, 1858 by James Matthews, with windows and reredos by Sir Ninian Comper. Window repairs. £3,000.
  • St Ninian’s Priory Church, Whithorn. White harled rectangular hall-church of 1822 with later 19th-century tower. Roof repairs. £4,000.

 

Latest Grants

Grants totalling £25,000 were awarded by the Grants Committee in May 2015.

Grants totalling £8,000 were awarded by the Grants Committee in February 2014.

Support Us

This trust is mainly dependent on support from private individuals, business organisations and all those concerned with maintaining Scotland's valuable architectural and historic heritage.

Find out more about how to support us >