Stronsay’s only church, built in 1955 to a design by Edinburgh architect Leslie Grahame MacDougall using a legacy from jute manufacturer Alexander Moncur whose maternal grandfather was Minister in Stronsay 1825-60. A large, harled, cruciform building, retaining many traditional Orcadian features in its construction. Red sandstone and blue whinstone blend with the wooden floor and large roof trusses to give a quiet, dignified appearance. Beautiful stained glass window of ‘Christ as the Good Shepherd’ by Marjorie Kemp 1935 enhances the chancel.
Open daily 9.00am-9.00pm May to September; at other times by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.