The present church in Kinglassie dates back to 1773 when it was in a ruinous condition. Renovations were completed in 1773. There was a church on the site from (1126-1159) the land was confirmed to Dunfermline Abbey by Robert Bishop of St Andrews. We also know that in 1226 Pope Honorus 111 granted the church to the use of the monks with provision for a suitable vicar (or minister). The bell and bell house were purchased in 23rd May 1652 at a cost of 250 “merks”. In April 1888 Alexander Mitchell of Redwells Farm offered an organ to the church. This was an American organ costing £124. This organ lasted 77 years when it was replaced by a Compton electronic organ in 1965. Mr Mitchell also provided matting for the passages of the church, umbrella brackets for pews and furnishing for the vestry. In 1891 on 15th February a new wing was opened facing west financed by Alexander Mitchell. The gift was acknowledged by a circular stained glass window in the gable of the transept containing a monogram with his initials. There are several memorials in Kinglassie church including a war memorial in the form of a communion table inscribed with those who gave their lives in the 1939-45 war. A minister’s chair and two elder’s chairs. The whole is in oak.
Open daily by arrangement. Please contact the church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.