Kilcalmonell Parish Church
Directions to your Church
Just off the A83, behind old bridge leading into Clachan village. Parking close to church. Bus stop in village.
Location of Church
Contact this Church
Clachan was the ancient seat of the Church in North Kintyre. The present traditional harled oblong kirk of around 1780 replaced an earlier church on the site. The church was enlarged in 1828, remodelled in 1878 and the interior refurnished in 1900. The porch was added in 1952. Art Nouveau stained glass in the windows either side of the pulpit. The graveyard contains early Christian, medieval and post-Reformation stones. War Memorial gateway, 1921, by Ebenezer James MacRae, City Architect of Edinburgh, one of the very rare examples of his work outside Edinburgh; he included two plaques from an older structure: a knight in full armour and a birlinn or galley.
Images relating to Kilcalmonell Parish Church are shown here, click on an image to view a larger version.
The information about churches in Scotland's Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form below. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland's Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.