Highland Parish in Campbeltown has recently formed a linkage with Southend Church, Carradale and Saddle. The area of the three linked churches cover south Kintyre.
‘To be causewayed with whinstone and paved with hewn flags. The lock on the front door to be of 20/- value and the rest to have snecks and wooden bolts’: the instruction of the architect George Dempster of Greenock, for a new church, built for the Highland, Gaelic-speaking, congregation of the area, and completed in 1807. Harled rubble with red sandstone dressings, an oblong with rectangular stair towers at each end of the front. Three galleries. The planned belfry was not large enough for the heritors, so a steeple was built; it has been rebuilt twice since, the casualty of lightning strikes. Allen Renaissance organ, 2000. The organ screen bears a memorial to the fallen of the Second World War.
Highland Parish Church is a Destination Hub on the St Columba Pilgrim Journey.
Sunday: 10.00 – 11.00
Church open during daylight hours. Wheelchair access available.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.