The present church, built 1824, replaced the post-Reformation Kirk of Ettrick and Rankilburn in which Thomas Boston preached in the early 17th century. Of three lofts, two have separations between the pews to stop the herd’s dogs from fighting. The third loft, of the Napier family, has more comfortable seating. Notable features are the pulpit with dove and original ladles for offerings. In the churchyard are the burial plot of the Napier family and the graves of James Hogg, ‘The Ettrick Shepherd’, and Tibbie Shiell.
Sunday: 11.45am 3rd Sunday; for 5th Sunday, see local press
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.