Built for the United Free Church in plain Gothic style, designed by William Carruthers Laidlaw, the foundation stone was laid in 1908. The church became Church of Scotland in 1929. Built of the local stone with smooth bands and a cross on the gable to the road.
The church features an open timber roof and a chancel and has simple well-crafted furnishings. Fine stained glass, including the west window of the Four Evangelists by A Ballantine & Sons and a new window by Martin Farrelly to mark the second Christian Millennium.
The Church was reordered in 2008 by resituating the organ and choir and removing some of the fixed pews, creating a more open and flexible Sanctuary.
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.