Address: Dalton, DG11 1DS
Local Authority: Dumfries & Galloway
Close by the roofless shell of the 1704 parish church stands J M Dick Peddie’s 1895 sturdy Romanesque church. Built of teh local red sandstone and with an attached square tower with short slated spire.
Unusually colourful kingpost-truss roof over the nave and scissors roof in the chancel. Three-light stained glass window of the Ascension by A Ballantine and Gardiner 1896.
The graveyard contains a late Georgian burial enclosure and the suave classical monument to the Carruthers of Whitecroft.
Dalton Kirk is a Destination Hub on the St Mungo Pilgrim Journey.
Sundays: 9.45am, 11.15am by rotation with Hightae and Kettleholm
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.