Although now the largest parish in the town of Carnoustie, Barry parish was originally a largely rural parish based on the small village of Barry, which is much older than the neighbouring town. The existence of a Christian Church in the area goes back more than 750 years; indeed, it is possible that a Church was founded by disciples of St Ninian more than 1500 years ago, but this is uncertain. However, when Balmerino Abbey was founded near Leuchars in Fife in 1231, King Alexander II provided many lands including the Parish of Barry for the support of the monks, and so Barry Church would have originally dated from this time. An older parish church was replaced by a new building in 1800 in the middle of the graveyard in the heart of the village of Barry; now only a few ruins remain of this building. In 1843 the disruption tore the Church of Scotland in two, and the Free Church built a small church on the bend in the road which was replaced in 1888 by the building we use today. By the middle of the 19th century Barry (like Carnoustie and Panbride) was served by a Free Church with the Manse just above it and a school along the road – until recently Barry Primary School, though now converted to a small business centre; and an established Church as mentioned earlier, with its school just by the bridge and its own Manse further South and West.
11.00 am in Carnoustie Church
by arrangement with Mike Goss 07787 141567
Contact Barry Parish Church
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.