Directions to your Church
On B9074 at north end of Loch of Tingwall
Location of Church
Contact this Church
Typical white-harled hall-church of the reformed tradition, this is the second-oldest church in Shetland still in use. The church opened its doors for worship in 1790 although there has been a church in Tingwall since the 12th century. Originally dedicated to St Magnus; part of the old church may still be seen in the nearby grass-covered burial vault. Inside, the church still has its original late 18th century interior with gallery and tall pulpit.
1st & 3rd Sunday of each month @ 9.15am July-September, 12noon October-June. 5th Sunday of the month is a charge-wide United service (see local press).
Images relating to Tingwall Church are shown here, click on an image to view a larger version.
The information about churches in Scotland's Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. The information is not authoritative; please contact us to let us know of any errors or omissions.