Strathbrock St Nicholas, Uphall
Location of Church
Contact this Church
To contact this church, please click the button below. This will take you to the 'Contact us' page of the church's website. Please note Scotland's Churches Trust is not responsible for content on external websitesContact this church
The original church was built in the second half of the 12th century, of this church the base of the tower and the nave with its Romanesque doorway of 1187 survive. The Buchan stairs were added in 1644, and aisles added 1590 and 1878. A picture shows the balconies that existed before the restoration of 1938. Buried in the tower are Erskines, Earls of Buchan and sons. Mixture of old and modern stained glass windows including windows by WIlliam Wilson and Peter MacGregor Chalmers. The bell, one of the oldest in West Lothian, is inscribed 'in onore sancte nicolae campana ecclegie de strabork anno dni mviii'. 'Judas' Bible of 1613.
Open by arrangement
Images relating to Strathbrock St Nicholas, Uphall are shown here, click on an image to view a larger version.
The information about churches in Scotland's Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. The information is not authoritative; please contact us to let us know of any errors or omissions.