St Ninian's, Gourock
Location of Church
Contact this Church
To contact this church please call the number below.
Gourock formed part of the pre-Reformation parish of Inverkip, mentioned in Papal registers of 1216-27. In 1878 Archbishop Eyre of Glasgow arranged for the construction of a chapel-school to be dedicated to St Ninian. The foundation stone was laid in 1879. Extended 1982 for the visit to Scotland of Pope John Paul II, the altar contains marble from the papal altar at Bellahouston. Mosaics by Frank Tritschler, stained glass by Dom Ninian Sloan of Pluscarden Abbey, and a chasuble fashioned from an original Paisley shawl by Debbie Gonet. Small museum.
Sunday Mass: 9.30am and 11.30am; daily 10.00am and Vigil Mass Saturday 5.30pm
Open daily 9.00am-6.00pm
Images relating to St Ninian's, Gourock are shown here, click on an image to view a larger version.
The information about churches in Scotland's Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. The information is not authoritative; please contact us to let us know of any errors or omissions.