St Magnus, Birsay
Directions to your Church
Across the road from the Earl's Palace
Location of Church
The original church was built by Earl Thorfinn c.1060 and has been altered and restored several times, most recently in 1986. Seventeenth-century belfry.
Stained glass window of 1904 by Alex Strachan showing scenes from the life of St Magnus. New stained glass window of 2013 by Shona McInnes with images reflecting the church's place in the community. Small picture gallery.
Inside the church are two 16th- and 17th-century tombstones. The Mons Bellus stone is probably from the nearby Bishop's Palace. The church is now maintained by the St Magnus Church Birsay Trust.
Occasional services, details locally
When church is not open, key available at Palace Stores
Images relating to St Magnus, Birsay are shown here, click on an image to view a larger version.
The information about churches in Scotland's Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. The information is not authoritative; please contact us to let us know of any errors or omissions.