Directions to your Church
Close to West Shore
Location of Church
Contact this Church
Originally a fishing village, Scalloway was the capital of Shetland until two to three hundred years ago. The kirk, built in 1840-41, is a two-storey square building with a piended roof and a bellcote above the entrance porch. White-painted horseshoe gallery and pews and red carpets make the interior bright and welcoming. The organ is one of only four pipe organs remaining in Shetland. It is thought to have been built by Andrew Watt of Glasgow in 1903.
Sunday 10.45 am except 5th Sunday of the month when a charge-wide United service is held (see local press).
Open by arrangement
Images relating to Scalloway Church are shown here, click on an image to view a larger version.
The information about churches in Scotland's Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. The information is not authoritative; please contact us to let us know of any errors or omissions.