Location of Church
Contact this Church
To contact this church, please click the button below. This will take you to the 'Contact us' page of the church's website. Please note Scotland's Churches Trust is not responsible for content on external websitesContact this church
Once the greatest abbey in the west of Scotland, Paisley abbey was founded in 1163 when thirteen monks came from Much Wenlock in Shropshire. The monks set up the priory on the site of an old Celtic church founded by St Mirin in the 6th century. Much of the original building was destroyed by the English in 1307 and the Abbey was rebuilt during the 15th century. There were 19th century restorations by James Salmon and Robert Rowand Anderson and restoration of the choir by Peter MacGregor Chalmers and Robert Lorimer in the early 20th-century. The restorations were respectful and left much of the medieval architecture in the nave. The Abbey holds the 10th-century Barochan Cross and the royal tombs of Marjory Bruce (daughter of Robert the Bruce) and King Robert III. Exceptionally fine woodwork including organ case by Lorimer, stained glass by Burne-Jones and others. Organ by Cavaille-Coll 1872, rebuilt Walker 1968.
Sundays: 11.00am, 12.15pm, Holy Communion 6.30pm
Open daily, Monday to Saturday 10.00am-3.30pm
The information about churches in Scotland's Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. The information is not authoritative; please contact us to let us know of any errors or omissions.