Old St Mary's, Burwick, South Ronaldsay
Location of Church
Built on what is often claimed to be the earliest Christian site in Orkney, the former South Kirk was erected 1599. The present building, set in a small graveyard, overlooking the Ayre of Burwick, was constructed 1790. The interior was renovated 1860. Contains what is now believed to be a Pictish coronation stone.
No regular services
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland's Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form below. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland's Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.