New Monkland Parish Church, Airdrie
Location of Church
Contact this Church
A fine old Scots plain kirk which hides an attractive interior, by Andrew Bell of Airdrie 1776. It holds a commanding position at the highest point in the village, and incorporates the bell-tower of an earlier church (1698) which housed a cell for minor offenders. The old church was replaced when it suffered so badly from overcrowding that youthful members of the congregation colonised the exposed joists to roost! The apse was added in 1904 by John Arthur. Extensive restoration 1997. Simple watchhouse by the cemetery.
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland's Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. The information is not authoritative; please contact us to let us know of any errors or omissions.