Manor Kirk, Kirkton Manor
Address: Kirkton Manor, EH45 9JH
Local Authority: Scottish Borders
First referred to in 1186 as ‘the Chapel of Maineure’. Tradition speaks of an earlier Chapel of the 4th century dedicated to St Gordian, a martyred Roman soldier. The present building was completed in 1874. The bell, rung before every service, is inscribed ‘In honore Santi Gordiani MCCCCLXXVIII’ and is one of the oldest bells in use in Scotland. Pewter baptismal basin, inscribed ‘Manner Kirk 1703’. The pipe organ, originally built by Peter Conacher in 1889, came from Pencaitland Church and was re-built in Manor Kirk in October 2002.
Sundays: 9.30am 2nd, 3rd and 4th Sundays of each month, 6.30pm 5th Sunday
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.