Larbert Old Church
Location of Church
Contact this Church
To contact this church, please click the button below. This will take you to the 'Contact us' page of the church's website. Please note Scotland's Churches Trust is not responsible for content on external websitesContact this church
Near site of earlier chapel 12th-century dependency of Eccles Kirkton of St Ninian's and Cambuskenneth Abbey. The present church of 1820, architect David Hamilton, replaced a pre-Reformation church which was located within the adjacent churchyard. The fine oak panelling of 1887, chancel added 1911. Good memorial windows including Gordon Webster and Stephen Adam. The apsidal triptych of the Transfiguration is believed to be the only example of Frank Howard's work (1805-66) in Scotland and was executed by Edmundson of Manchester. Interesting memorial plaques. The graveyard includes the burial place of James Bruce, Abyssinian explorer, and Master Robert Bruce, the post-Reformation divine, as well as the early partners of the Carron Company. The bell-tower has a carillon of chimes dating from 1985.
Sundays: 11.00am and 6.30pm
Open by arrangement
Images relating to Larbert Old Church are shown here, click on an image to view a larger version.
The information about churches in Scotland's Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. The information is not authoritative; please contact us to let us know of any errors or omissions.