Haddo House Chapel
Directions to your Church
Off the B999 near Tarves
Location of Church
Contact this Church
Haddo House is a fine Palladian mansion, designed by William Adam in 1732, with later architectural alterations made by Archibald Simpson in the early nineteenth century, and further work completed by Wardrop and Reid in the 1880s. In conjunction with the renovations to the Georgian exterior, a complete transformation was carried out of the interior of the house, with the creation of the sumptuous late Victorian interiors on view today. It was around this time when the excellent Early English chapel was added to the north wing, by the leading Gothic revivalist G E Street, completed 1877-1881. The chapel has a nave, a chancel with a pink granite altar and an impressive wooden barrel vault. Built to serve the family and the local community, it was created free of any ecclesiastical restrictions, thus services were - and still are - ecumenical. The beautiful stained glass windows are attributed to Clifton and Taylor, with a design displaying close parallels to the styles of the Arts and Crafts movement. The organ is a particularly fine 'Father' Willis one. Originally water powered, it was later updated to electricity. It still makes a fantastic sound when played during the chapel services, weddings and christenings that take place there.
1st Sunday in the month starting at Easter Sunday through to October for Harvest Festival and every Sunday in August. Tea served in the library from 5pm, service at 6pm. There is also a Christmas Day service at 10.30am.
Entry to the chapel is included with the ticket for Haddo House. Guided tours only. See website for opening times.
The information about churches in Scotland's Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. The information is not authoritative; please contact us to let us know of any errors or omissions.