Greyfriars Convent of Mercy, Elgin
Location of Church
Beautiful and careful restoration, 1891-1908, by architect John Kinross for the 3rd Marquess of Bute, of a 15th-century Franciscan friary. Magnificently carved oak screen divides the choir from the nave and a splendid barrel-vaulted ceiling stretches unbroken to the stained glass window above the altar. Fine cloister with original medieval well, still fed by an active spring. The SIsters of Mercy moved out in 2010. The Diocese of Aberdeen is now responsible for the convent, but a decision is yet to be made on its future use.
Images relating to Greyfriars Convent of Mercy, Elgin are shown here, click on an image to view a larger version.
The information about churches in Scotland's Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. The information is not authoritative; please contact us to let us know of any errors or omissions.