Known as ‘The Lamp of the North’, it is one of the oldest pre-Reformation Scottish churches still in use for worship. The core of the building is 13th century, rebuilt 1772 by James Rich and restored by Ian G Lindsay & Partners 1972. Further restoration in summer 2001. Originally a monastery of Premonstratensian monks of the Order of St Augustine. Patrick Hamilton, burnt for heresy at St Andrews in 1528, was the Commendatory Abbot from 1517 to 1528.
Sunday 11.30 am
Open daily April to September, 10.00am-4.00pm; or by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.